Hemp is a superfood; one of the most amazing plants for human health that exists on our planet. It’s over-flowing with nutrients, so much so, that I insist on incorporating it regularly into my already super-healthy, plant-based diet.
There are lots of different ways to include it in your weekly cuisine. You might use hulled hemp seeds, hemp seed oil or hemp protein powder (look out for more hemp recipes at the bottom of this article).
The powder is an excellent way to add extra protein to a smoothie (or other food) if you specifically want to focus on the protein and high fibre element of these health-giving seeds. The powder is what remains after the oil has been extracted. It is much easier to digest than many other protein sources. The powder doesn’t exactly have the most enthralling taste all by itself, so it benefits from an infusion of other healthful flavours. In this smoothie I’ve brought in ripe banana and blueberries for sweetness along with tahini and flax for an extra powerful dose of protein, essential fats, antioxidants and taste.
Why is Hemp Protein so important for health?
Hemp is one of the most complete proteins in the plant food kingdom, containing ALL 21 known amino acids, including the 9 that humans are unable to produce themselves. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Protein is essential for basic bodily functions; it helps to build new cells whilst looking after the tissues within your body. Protein is responsible for making neurotransmitters, the essential internal messaging service that sends the signals around your body to make it function. Hemp comes up top for protein power and is well recognised as a superfood by those seeking a healthy protein source.
Read all about the benefits of hemp seeds in detail, in my other article here:
Why are hemp seeds essential for health?
Now for this deliciously, healthful, superfood recipe…
- 1 large ripe banana
- 3 heaped tablespoons frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon hemp protein powder
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground flaxseed
- 2 heaped teaspoons tahini
- 200ml rice milk
- Sprinkle of hulled hemp seeds (optional)
- Measure all ingredients into a blending jug.
- Blend together until creamy smooth.
- Sprinkle some hulled hemp seeds on top (optional).
- Serve immediately.
Two more delicious recipes using hemp protein powder
- Happy Hemp Superfood Breakfast Bowl with maca and tahini
- Raw Protein Hemp Power Balls with chia, flax and cacao
Where to find hemp protein powder…
You can find hemp seeds and hemp protein at any good health food store or online.
Here are a few helpful suggestions to get you started…
- Hemp seeds online USA: Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds
- Hemp protein powder online USA: Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Hemp Protein Powder
- Hemp seeds online UK: Sevenhills Organics Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds
- Hemp protein powder UK: Sevenhills Organics Raw Hemp Protein Powder