The festive season has an incredible reputation for encouraging less-than-healthy eating. Yet, with a little extra care and consideration we can still enjoy super-healthy celebrations, whilst knowing that every morsel that we eat and share with family and friends can be filled with health affirming goodness.
I’ve enjoyed eating healthful foods for years and would choose wholesome plant-based delights any day of the year.
Learning to create very satiating recipes has shown me that eating this way is so alive, so vibrant and can play an important role in keeping us healthy and fit. Now, I couldn’t imagine any other way.
In the spirit of healthy festive indulgence, I am sharing my latest, delicious sweet treat. Using dried fruit and mixed warming spices, it has an nurturing, seasonal flavour.
They’ re remarkably easy to make; don’t require baking; are gluten-free; dairy-free; and also free from refined sugar. Avoiding all these things opens up a whole new world of delicious possibilities.
I use dried fruit and orange to sweeten, along with nutritious nuts, seeds and coconut to add substance, flavour and a fudge-like depth. The warming mixed spices dance and entwine to create a soft, wholesome bite of seasonal bliss.
It’s a wonderful thing to keep us healthy and nourished during the festive, whilst allowing us to indulge a bit with some nice sweet treats.
They also make wonderful little gifts for friends and family!
Here are those delicious ingredients… and scroll down below to watch my short video demo below for a step-by-step guide on how to make them.
What better gift to give yourself and others this Christmas season! This recipe is my gift to you.
From my heart to yours
- 100g raisins (2/3 cup)
- Juice of half an orange
- Teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- Teaspoon 'mixed spice' (i.e. cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger)
- 100g mixed walnuts/cashew/pecans
- Heaped teaspoon ground flaxseed
- Tablespoon coconut oil
- Desiccated coconut for rolling
- ***see my video above for a helpful visual guide on how to make these***
- Mix the raisins, orange juice, finely grated orange rind and mix spice in a glass jug and leave to marinade overnight (or for at least 3 hours).
- When ready, give the mix a stir again.
- Add mix to food processor (if you don't have food processor use a hand blender instead).
- Add in the nuts to food processor.
- Blend until everything starts sticking together. You need a rustic blend rather than a puree.
- Mix in the ground flaxseed and coconut oil with a spoon.
- Pop some desiccated coconut onto a plate.
- Take dollops of the mixture. Drop into the coconut and then roll into balls.
- They work well if you put them in to the fridge for a while before serve them - however, if you can't wait, serve them right away.
For more delicious gluten-free, 100% plant-based, free-from-refined-sugar desserts check out my page here:
Trinity’s Delicious Desserts
Pin for later…