Here it is… my “Chickpea (garbonzo bean) & Mushroom Burger” recipe.
This is an excellent way to enjoy a super healthy, high-protein, vegan, gluten-free meal, whilst using optimal plant-based ingredients. I’ve created this version to be pleasantly moist on the inside with a lovely soft crisp on the outside; so that you can enjoy it with OR without the addition of a sauce. It works wonders with a salad or potato wedges; or in a bap with salad/sauce toppings…
A handy printable version…
- 240g (9oz) chickpeas (about 1 tin drained weight)
- 2 level tablespoons gram flour (chickpea flour)
- 1 small red onion
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 75g tasty mushrooms (small handful)
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Half teaspoon sea salt
- Half medium sized apple
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (finely chopped)
- 1 medium sized tomato
- Crush garlic, dice onion and chop the mushrooms into small pieces; saute together in a pan for a few minutes.
- Roughly mash chickpeas in a large mixing bowl with a potato masher or fork. This involves a bit of work to really get in there! The mash doesn’t have to be totally smooth, although you do need to give it a good pressing through so that a lot of it is quite mushy. It’s fine to leave a few rustic looking pieces.
- Grate the half apple (including skin).
- Add the gram flour, tahini, salt and apple and mix all together using the back of a metal spoon (to press down and help support the binding process).
- Finely chop the rosemary and chop tomato into small pieces.
- Add the sauteed items along with all remaining ingredients into bowl, pressing down and mixing thoroughly with a metal spoon.
- Divide into 4 and firmly shape and mould into patties.
- Place onto a grill tray and heat under a medium grill for approximately 8 minutes on each side (or until nicely tanned).
This recipe is from my book Angelicious. Click here to check it out.