Being a retreat chef – what a joy! Not only do I get to make the most delicious soul-inspired food and serve it to the most beautiful souls on retreat, it gives me the enormous privilege of filling my shopping trolley with bountiful loads of delicious, organic goodness! It’s like a delightful treasure hunt as the menu unfolds from one basket of fruit and veggies to the next. I never quite know what is going to be available at any given time.
So… I was busy filling my shopping trolley with fresh organic goodies in Belgium last week, when the most delicious pile ‘Emilia’ of mangoes caught my eye. I suddenly thought my guest would just LOVE ‘Mango Chia Breakfast Pudding’. And so it was. My guests loved them.
I managed to shoot a super quick video to show you how easy these chia breakfast puddings are to make (and also an excuse to say a quick hello to you guys!)…
If you’ve not yet discovered the culinary alchemy of chia seeds, then you are in for a real treat. They thicken, in a jelly-like fashion when soaked, making the perfect pudding or smoothie addition. Soaking also makes it easier to digest and assimilate their nutrients. Chia seeds are one of the richest plant-based sources of essential fats; a high quality, complete protein food and loaded with antioxidants.
- 1 ripe mango (medium sized)
- 200ml to 250ml water (or plant-based milk)
- 1 ripe banana (optional)
- 2 heaped teaspoons of tahini (or cashew butter)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- Optional superfoods
- *** Please check my super quick video above for a helpful guide ***
- Peel and scoop out the mango and place into a blending jug.
- Add the water (or plant-milk).
- Add the banana.
- Add the tahini.
- Add any optional superfoods (I enjoy maca, moringa and hempseeds or hempseed protein powder).
- Blend until smooth.
- Mix in chia seeds.
- Over the next 20 minutes, stir in a couple of times again. Re-stirring in this period, stops the seeds sticking together.
- Pop in the fridge overnight (or for at least an hour or two). Serve the next morning (or later) after you give it a stir. Add toppings of your choice like fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, granola etc.