This super healthy soup is a great way to make the most of seasonal beetroots and embrace their many health affirming benefits. I like to use shiitake mushrooms with this blend, for their smokey flavour and fantastic immune support – although you can easily replace with whatever mushrooms you have available. The creamed coconut block (which comes in solid block form) offers a rich infusion of coconut flavour and extra creaminess.
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 3 bowls
- 2 small/medium beetroots (about 300g)
- 800ml water
- 400g squash or pumpkin
- 1 medium sized leek
- 1 to 2cm cubed of ginger (or to preferred taste)
- 100g shiitake mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 100g creamed coconut block **
- Small handful cashews (optional extra)
- Scrub the beetroot (leaving skin on) and chop into small chunks before tossing into a medium sized pan. Add the water; place the lid on the pan and turn on the heat.
- Peel the squash; chop into small pieces and toss into the pan.
- Finely chop the ginger and roughly chop leek before adding to the pan along with the salt and shiitake mushrooms.
- Once it has come to the boil, turn down to gently simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Near the end of the cooking time roughly chop the creamed coconut block and add to the pan. Stir in to encourage it to melt.
- Once cooked (when you can pierce a fork through the beetroot) turn off the heat and blend soup. I find a hand blender useful for this, although a jug blender will work well too.
- Once served, sprinkle a few cashews on top of each bowl of soup (as an optional extra) and enjoy with your favourite bread.
** If you can’t find creamed coconut block, then try using coconut cream instead. Try 250ml of coconut cream as a replacement and ONLY 600ml of water.
For more about the health benefits of beetroot check out my article here:
Health Benefits of Beetroot
For a delicious beetroot juice recipe visit my page here:
Beet-iful Mint Juice
For more delicious, nutritious soups check out this page:
Trinity’s Super Healthy Soups